Barcelona vs. PSG: Score, Grades, Reaction from Champions League | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors
Neymar scored twice as Barcelona progressed comfortably beyond Paris Saint-Germain into the Champions League semi-finals with a 5-1 aggregate victory.
The Catalan giants were already leading 3-1 from the first leg at the Parc des Princes, and the Brazil international ensured there would be no surprise comeback when he opened the scoring in the 14th minute after superb play from Andres Iniesta.
That goal represented Barcelona’s 1,000th in European competition, but Neymar hit a personal milestone 20 minutes later with his 30th of the season for the club.
While few people had expected a Barcelona capitulation at the Camp Nou, hopes had been high that the Ligue 1 champions would make a game of the tie.
However, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and other big names seemingly unable to find their form for Laurent Blanc’s team, those hopes were dashed as PSG failed to offer any threat on the Barcelona goal.
There were no major surprises in the Barcelona lineup, with Marc-Andre ter Stegen reclaiming his regular Champions League spot from Claudio Bravo while defender Jeremy Mathieu was omitted from the squad.
FC Barcelona 🏆🏆 @FCBarcelona
1 Ter Stegen
FC Barcelona 🏆🏆 @FCBarcelona
20 Sergi Roberto
The headline news in the PSG team was already known with Zlatan Ibrahimovic returning to the starting XI to face his former club.
Paris Saint-Germain @PSG_inside
Le Onze de départ du Paris Saint-Germain pour commencer au Camp Nou ! #BARPSG #TousParis http://t.co/pGWREwIqZU
Gracenote Live @GracenoteLive
This is Barcelona’s 100th CL home match: W69-D21-L9. These 69 wins are as many as PSG’s total matches played in CC/CL combined.
David Luiz received a third-minute caution for a foul on Ivan Rakitic after the Brazilian attempted to recover the ball from his own slip.
Dan Levy @DanLevyThinks
David Luiz with a yellow before the 3 minute mark. This could be a long day for PSG.
Surprisingly, Barcelona were holding the ball with little discomfort in the opening stages as PSG failed to press their opponents for an early goal.
And in the 14th minute, the home side extended their lead in the tie. Andres Iniesta danced through two PSG challenges just inside the French club’s half before moving forward and playing the ball to the on-rushing Neymar. The Brazil international rounded Salvatore Sirigu before slotting home.
World Soccer Talk @worldsoccertalk
Here’s that Neymar goal. #FCBarcelona http://t.co/uYfewTeLsR
Dermot Corrigan @dermotmcorrigan
1-0 Barca. Assist of the season from Iniesta, who runs past three players from his own half, then plays in Neymar to slot home.
Gracenote Live @GracenoteLive
Neymar scored Barcelona’s 1000th goal in all European competitions.
Ibrahimovic had the ball in the net in the 18th minute, but the Swedish striker was adjudged to be offside.
Barcelona’s opener seemed to have galvanised PSG and their pressure on the hosts had increased, but the threat to Ter Stegen’s goal was still missing.
However, the tie was effectively over now, and even Dani Alves had an attempt from distance to underline Barcelona’s comfort. Sirigu parried that effort away.
In the 34th minute, Barcelona made it 2-0. Alves rounded Maxwell on the right flank before centering the ball for an unmarked Neymar to head home beyond Sirigu.
Actu Foot @ActuFoot_
Le but de Neymar pour le Barça ! 0-2 !
Luis Enrique brought off Iniesta for Xavi ahead of the second period, with the substitute also taking the captain’s armband from his team-mate.
SPORT English @Sport_EN
Xavi on for Iniesta at the break. Iniesta presumably sat in the dressing room watching Vines of his run for Neymar’s first goal.
It had been a quiet game for Lionel Messi in the opening 45 minutes, but he went close with a chipped shot in the 52nd minute, which Sirigu held.
Barcelona made a further change in the 55th minute with Sergi Roberto entering the fray for Sergio Busquets.
With a four-goal lead on aggregate, Barcelona sat back with their eyes on the upcoming La Liga matches, allowing PSG some freedom in the middle of the pitch.
But once more the Ligue 1 champions barely delivered a blow on Ter Stegen’s goal, with Marco Verratti’s free shot on goal on the hour mark going well wide of the mark to underline their lack of potency.
Verratti had, arguably, been the best PSG player on display in the game as he showed at least some determination to haul his team back into the tie.
The ineffective Yohan Cabaye was taken off midway through the second half with Lucas Moura coming on in his place.
Jonathan Johnson @Jon_LeGossip
Cabaye confirming what many of us have known for some time, he simply adds nothing to this PSG side. Now off for Lucas. #FCBPSG #UCL
Verratti received a foul for tripping Neymar, who had taunted the midfielder with his tricky play on the left side of the field.
It had not been a great night for Luiz, but the defender produced an excellent block on a Luis Suarez cross in the 71st minute to deny Barcelona.
At the other end, Ibrahimovic finally found his way to goal, but his strike from distance was pushed away by Ter Stegen.
With the game won, Suarez was given a rest for the final 15 minutes as Pedro came on as his replacement.
But the match had long since slipped into second gear with the result having effectively been determined with Neymar’s opener.
Barcelona will enter the Champions League semi-final draw on Friday without having been tested, though a major challenge likely looms with Real Madrid and Juventus still alive and Bayern Munich having advanced.
PSG’s eyes appeared to be on domestic success this season after the first-leg loss. They are currently tied with Lyon atop the Ligue 1 table with one game in hand.
Selected Player Ratings
Andres Iniesta: A
The Barcelona midfielder rolled back the years to inspire his team on the night before his withdrawal at half-time. His assist for Neymar’s opening goal was simply magnificent.
Rik Sharma @riksharma_
Haven’t seen THIS Iniesta for a long, long time.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: B
The former Barcelona striker had a point to prove on his return to the Camp Nou with PSG but rarely threatened in the first half on a night when the Ligue 1 champions needed a talisman.
The Brazil international took full advantage of Iniesta’s work to open the scoring before notching his 30th of the season for Barcelona with his second.
David Luiz: B-
It would be harsh to blame the defeat on the PSG defender alone, but his needless third-minute caution and his positioning for Neymar’s second goal were symptomatic of PSG’s display at the Camp Nou.
Football Insider @footyinsider247
Roy Keane on David Luiz: “You’ve got to feel sorry for him. The boy doesn’t know what he is doing.”
UEFA Champions League @ChampionsLeague
Luiz: “They were the better team in both games. They controlled both games and they deserved to qualify.” #UCL http://t.co/YmG93E5yvP
Dermot Corrigan @dermotmcorrigan
Iniesta asked just now on @casadelfutbol “if we can say the best Iniesta has returned”. .. “I never left,” he replied…
PSG vs. Barcelona: Score, Grades, Reaction from Champions League Quarter-Final | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors
Michel Euler/AP Images
Luis Suarez scored a superb second-half double as Barcelona defeated Paris Saint-Germain, 3-1, on Wednesday in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final at the Parc des Princes.
Neymar netted in the 18th minute to give Barcelona an early advantage, but PSG hit back with a series of chances shortly before half-time. Suarez then struck a pair of stunning solo efforts, in the 67th and 79th minutes, before PSG pulled back a late consolation through a Jeremy Mathieu own goal.
Planet Fútbol @si_soccer
FT: PSG 1, Barcelona 3. Luis Suarez nutmegs David Luiz twice en route to two big goals. Ibrahimovic available for the second leg. #UCL
The late goal will give PSG some hope of a comeback in the second leg, which is scheduled for next Tuesday at Barcelona’s Camp Nou. But with a two-goal cushion—and three away goals—in hand, Barcelona will be the clear favourites to progress.
Christophe Ena/Associated Press
PSG will take some solace in the fact that stars Zlatan Ibrahimvoc and Marco Verratti will be available for the second leg after serving suspensions Wednesday night. But unless the French side can match Barcelona’s strength and depth in attack, Barca will be tough to beat.
Indeed, PSG created a number of chances, especially during a bright period near the end of the first half. But the Ligue 1 champions were wasteful in front of goal, with Edinson Cavani especially at fault.
Up next for Barcelona, who lead La Liga by two points, is a home match against Valencia on Saturday. PSG, who saw a 33-match home unbeaten run in European competitions end, play at Nice this weekend.
Jonathan Johnson @Jon_LeGossip
Tie as good as over. Huge task for PSG to go to Camp Nou & score 3 without reply. Silva’s loss could have massive ramifications.
Barcelona controlled possession early in the match, but PSG created the first good chance in the ninth minute against the run of play. Blaise Matuidi led the move, making a fine run down the flank before pulling back for Javier Pastore, who mishit his shot from six yards.
The visitors went straight back on the attack and struck the woodwork in the 14th minute. Suarez picked out Lionel Messi along the edge of the area, and with plenty of time to pick his spot, Messi curled a shot off the far upright, with PSG goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu beaten.
Christophe Ena/Associated Press
It was only a brief reprieve for PSG, though. In the 18th minute, Barcelona took the lead.
Following a giveaway by the home side, Messi led a counter down the middle before laying off for Neymar on the left. Showing excellent composure in front of goal, Neymar took a step before side-footing a low shot past Sirigu for the opening goal.
The situation quickly became worse for PSG as captain Thiago Silva limped off with an injury within moments of the goal. PSG played with 10 men for more than two minutes before David Luiz replaced Silva in central defence.
Neymar had another sight of goal from the left flank in the 26th minute, but this time, he sent a weak shot straight at Sirigu, who saved comfortably.
PSG began to grow in stature as half-time approached. The hosts broke forward quickly in the 28th minute after Ezequiel Lavezzi won possession off Martin Montoya. Lavezzi then played the ball to Cavani in the middle, but Cavani overhit his first touch and the opening passed.
Cavani had another opportunity in the 35th minute, but his weak shot failed to trouble Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
PSG had another injury scare late in the first half, with Sirigu needing a moment to recover after diving to save a curling Suarez shot in the 43rd minute. The goalkeeper landed awkwardly after making the save, but he remained in the match.
Sam Tighe @stighefootball
#psg guilty of what Atletico were in the first half last night: trying to score the perfect counter attacking goal with minimal touches
The second half began much as the first had ended, with PSG creating chances as they searched for an equaliser. In the 49th minute, Ter Stegen did well to parry Pastore’s deflected shot. One minute later, the German goalkeeper stopped Adrien Rabiot’s low effort from outside the box.
Barcelona had to make a change in the 53rd minute due to injury, with Andres Iniesta leaving the pitch on a stretcher. Xavi replaced him in Barca’s midfield.
Michel Euler/Associated Press
PSG were still very much in the tie, but in the 67th minute, their task became much more difficult following a stunning solo goal by Suarez. Collecting a pass from Montoya on the right flank, Suarez promptly cut inside and nutmegged Luiz with a deft touch. After beating two more defenders inside the box, the Uruguayan opened his body and finished right-footed at the near post off Sirigu’s outstretched hand.
Barcelona suddenly held a firm grip on the tie with a 2-0 lead on the night, as well as two precious away goals. But PSG were far from finished, and in the 69th minute, Cavani came close with a thumping shot on target after Barca were unable to clear a corner. The shot packed quite a bit of power, but Ter Stegen pushed the ball away to maintain his clean sheet.
Messi had a chance to score Barcelona’s third goal in the 73rd minute, sidestepping a series of defenders before setting up his favoured left foot for a shot near the edge of the box. The Argentine hit the ball sweetly, but his curling effort sailed past the top corner.
With full-time fast approaching, Suarez netted again in the 79th minute with another piece of outstanding individual skill. After trading passes with Javier Mascherano in midfield, Suarez headed straight for goal, nutmegging Luiz again before curling an unstoppable shot into the top corner for 3-0.
Christophe Ena/Associated Press
With that, the tie appeared all but over, but PSG managed to pull a goal back in the 82nd minute. There seemed to be little danger as Gregory van der Wiel struck a speculative shot toward the goal from the edge of the box, but Mathieu stuck out a leg to redirect the ball into his own net to give the hosts hope.
Cavani had another chance in the 89th minute, when the ball fell to him in a promising position following a scramble in Barcelona’s box. But Mathieu made a timely intervention, blocking the Uruguayan’s shot. One minute later at the other end, Messi curled a free-kick on target, but Sirigu saved.
Those turned out to be the final chances as Barcelona claimed a victory that puts them within striking distance of the semi-finals.
|Paris Saint-Germain Player Ratings|
|Salvatore Sirigu||5. 9|
|Gregory van der Wiel||6.8|
|David Luiz (for Silva, 21′)||6.6|
|Lucas Moura (for Rabiot, 65)||6.5|
|Ratings via WhoScored.com|
|Barcelona Player Ratings|
|Marc-Andre ter Stegen||6.9|
|Jordi Alba||7. 0|
|Xavi (for Iniesta, 53′)||6.5|
|Jeremy Mathieu (for Rakitic, 74′)||5.9|
|Adriano (for Montoya, 80′)||No rating|
|Ratings via WhoScored.com|
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique, via BBC Sport:
It’s an important win for us. There are lots of ways you can describe our play. We were attentive, had possession and were good in defence. We made a lot of chances and were solid. We need to look to win the return match and avoid surprises.
Barcelona forward Luis Suarez, via BBC Sport:
We weren’t overly dominant. We played intelligently, and worked hard. When you play against an opponent like them you have to play with intensity to get the win. We knew we had to win. There’s 90 minutes still to go and nothing is sorted, but we have a good advantage.
Barcelona 6-1 PSG. How it was | UEFA Champions League
Barcelona started the knockout stages of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League with a disappointing 0-4 away defeat to Paris Saint-Germain. To reach the quarterfinals after this, the Catalans needed a feat of historical proportions, and they did it.
Watch the entire match Barcelona – PSG
Only the most devoted and out of touch with reality Barça fans seriously hoped for success after the defeat of the blue garnets on Valentine’s Day.
First match review: PSG 4-0 Barça
No one has ever managed to bounce back in the Champions League with such a difference in the score. And then Luis Enrique announced that at the end of the season he would leave the position of head coach. And yet, little by little, dreams of success began to take over the minds of the Camp Nou. Enrique himself set the tone for them. “If the Parisians can score four, we can score six,” said the coach, who was quickly made the scapegoat for the debacle in France. A bold statement to say the least.
• Neymar: The Brazilian striker scored just two goals in the group stage and ended the 2014/15 Champions League as one of the top three scorers. His rare talent to turn the course of any match upside down turned out to be very useful for the Catalans.
• Lionel Messi: With this man (?) in the squad, you always have a chance to bounce back. The top scorer in Barça’s history was close to 500 goals. At the group stage, he scored eight times, but in Paris, the Argentine was not allowed to score.
• Sergi Roberto : The club’s pupil played on the right side of the defense in all previous matches of the draw. The second leg with the Parisians “Bars” started according to the scheme 3-4-3, and Roberto remained on the bench. The more valuable was his feat after coming on as a substitute.
What happened next
Luis Suarez scores an early goal at Camp NouAFP via Getty Images
PSG had to remain calm and try not to concede an early goal. The plan failed already in the third minute, when Luis Suarez put Barcelona ahead. Shortly before the break, the hosts scored again – Layven Kurzava scored an own goal. Messi’s goal immediately after the break completely inspired the hosts.
The guests were nervous and defended too deep, but this did not stop Unai Emery’s team from scoring a crucial away goal in the 62nd minute. Edinson Cavani scored. Barcelona now needed three balls, but it could have been worse if Marc-André ter Stegen hadn’t bailed out from Cavani’s shot a few minutes later.
Even in the 88th minute, it seemed that the Parisians were in the next round, but then the Catalan miracle happened. Neymar did a great free-kick and scored the first goal. At the beginning of added time, he converted a penalty, and on 9In the 5th minute, he made a pass to Roberto, who sent the decisive ball into the goal of Kevin Trapp. Finita. The Parisians left the race, and the blue garnet, contrary to all forecasts, made it to the quarterfinals.
- Tears of blue garnet happiness
- How it was. Barcelona 6-1 PSG
- Reporter Graham Hunter on “Evening of incredible faith”
Barcelona defender Sergio Roberto : “At that crucial moment, Neymar crossed into the box, and I did everything to get to the ball … and in the end it ended up in the net. For me it was a special moment that I will never forget. It is for episodes like this that we and play football.”
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique : “It’s crazy…a unique sport. The kids and adults who were there will remember it for the rest of their lives. I dedicate the victory to all the Barcelona fans who kept believing in us. After the first match, an avalanche of criticism hit us.”
That same evening
Something similar, albeit in miniature, happened that evening in Dortmund. Borussia Dortmund were approaching the second leg with Benfica against the backdrop of a 0-1 defeat in Lisbon. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored a hat-trick, 18-year-old Christian Pulisic scored his first Champions League goal and the Germans beat the Eagles 4-0.
European press reaction
Marca, Spain : “Never say never. Even if your team has to win by five goals. Even when the opponent scores back and you need three goals in half an hour. In everything is possible in football. Let no one doubt it anymore.”
L’Équipe, France : “Why climb so high and then fall so low? Three weeks ago we were taken by the hand and given a dream. But all this was only to leave us stunned and deprived of the gift speeches after such a rout.”
Great comebacks in the second legs of the Champions League
Gazzetta dello Sport, Italy : “The miracle in Barcelona has changed football. Until March 8, 2017, football was different. Now everything old that we used to has changed forever. The concept of “impossible” was pushed very far yesterday.”
Daily Telegraph, England : “This club, these players, they’ve done anything in their lifetime. But they’ve never done anything like it.”
Zeit Online, Germany : “God is a fan of Barcelona.”
- “How to explain the miracle?” was after
In the first quarter-final match, Barça lost 0-3 to Juventus in Turin. watched Real Madrid win the Champions League for the second year in a row.0003
In the summer, Barcelona lost Neymar, one of the architects of the historic victory. Ironically, the Brazilian moved to PSG, where young Kylian Mbappé moved that same summer. Emery continued to coach the team, despite the criticism that had fallen. Basque held out in France for another year.
who won, statistics, goals of the match – hat-trick, Messi scored from the penalty spot
In the first match of the 1/8 finals of the Champions League, Barcelona lost at home to PSG (1:4).
Sports.ru led online text broadcast of this match.
Striker Kylian Mbappé scored a hat-trick for the Parisians, with another goal added by his attacking partner Moise Keane.
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi scored a goal – he converted a penalty.
The return game is scheduled for 10 March.
Barcelona Spain – PSG France
1:4 (1:1, 0:3)
- February 16, 23.00, Camp Nou
27 penalty Messi,
- Barcelona –
ter Stegen, Dest (Mingesa 71), Lenglet, Alba, Piqué (Puch 78), Busquets (Pjanic 78), de Jong, Pedri (Trinkau 78), Dembele, Messi, Griezmann (Braithwaite 85).
- PSG –
Navas, Kurzawa, Kimpembe, Florenzi (Kerer 89), Marquinhos, Verratti (Draxler 73), Paredes, Guye (Herrera 46), Icardi, Keane (Danilo Pereira 85), Mbappe.
Champions League Stats
Champions League Calendar
Find out which legendary players you look like
News Featured content
- Deputy Teryushkov about Khimki: “No one asked Yuran to bet the investor’s son. Ready – go out and play. He scored against CSKA and Wings 10
- Video “Because of one slob, #####, we lost. This slob is not in the team from tomorrow.” Evseev about Alania’s goal against Shinnik on the 94th 32
- Wayne Rooney: “There was the era of Messi and Ronaldo, the time of Holland has come. You just need to enjoy. It’s rare to see such a deadly player. ” 30
- Special Project ⚽️⚽️🏆⚽️ Line up the sports items and get points. Game for all sports fans
- Diego Simeone: “This is the real Barcelona. She stepped up under Xavi and became better defensive” 15
- Real won 4 matches in a row with a total score of 8:0 – in La Liga and the Champions League 22
- Spanish Championship. Real beat Celta, Real Sociedad beat Rayo Vallecano, Almeria lost to Athletic 78
- Real beat Celta 2-0. Asensio and Militao scored 61
- Deputy Teryushkov: Khimki got rid of ballast – agents and people from the outside world. Everything is fine, excellent management, good coaching staff” 19
- Thomas Tuchel: “Points slip like sand through your fingers. Bayern cannot play without individual mistakes and loss of concentration” 20
My team news
Choose your favorite team
Select sportFootballHockeyBasketballBiathlonBox/MmaFormula 1Tennis
- Keene on Man City’s treble: Real Madrid are the biggest problem. But with Guardiola the chances are excellent.” 8
- French Championship. Monaco Golovin lost big to Lance, Auxerre shared points with Lille 13
- Italian Championship. Lazio lost to Torino, Sampdoria and Spezia shared points, Juventus will play Napoli on Sunday 43 TopNews”> Sergei Semak: “Renan will be at Zenit for a short while, I think the interest is great. If Malcolm leaves for Paris, we will only rejoice for him, he deserves it” “Haland is the best player in the world. Messi is the greatest, but Erling takes my breath away. He will receive the Golden Ball if he is in this form.0207 119
- Slavisa Jokanovic: “The linesman brushed me off – I don’t accept that. If the referees demand respect for themselves, then we should be treated the same” 11
- First League. Baltika defeated Ufa, Alania snatched victory from Shinnik, SKA played a draw with Volga Manchester City are stable, we take trophies, but we continue to fight for them, and I am especially proud of this”0207 76
- Kahn on Bayern’s problems: “Tuchel is the last person to discuss. He tries everything he can” 26
- Special project “Before the tour, he even arranged a diet: dumplings, “Delicious and that’s it”. Football for people weighing 100+ kg is being developed in Russia
- Vladimir Bystrov: Dynamo is dead. I got up in my own half and waited for Zenit to drive and score. A shame!” 65
- Sergey Semak: “Claudinho will be happy to defend the flag of Russia, like Malcolm, if he is not called up to the Brazilian national team” Serbia 18
- Slavisa Jokanovic: Zenit is a Champions League team. Dynamo don’t have many players who can boast of such a level” 36
- Zenit is the best thing in Russian football, and no Moscow club can afford it. Look at the table.” Petrzhela about Petersburgers 22
- Pep about how some Manchester United fans are afraid of Man City’s treble: “Don’t be afraid, we are neighbors. Neighbors are always kind to each other” 42
- Semak about 3:1 with Dynamo: “Zenith” after the 1st goal it was more pleasant to play, for fans to watch the game on a collision course. A confident victory 12
- Semak won 122 matches at the head of Zenit and outstripped Morozov. Up to Sadyrin’s record – 3 wins 119
- Video Bystrov does not agree with the penalty in favor of Zenit: “Malcom started to cling to his foot, and then fell down” : “2 goals – Dynamo’s mistakes, 1 more – the skill of the opponent. Not to say that the result is unfair” 54
- Zenit extended its unbeaten home streak against Moscow clubs in the RPL to 22 games, 20 of them with Semak 37
- German Championship. Bayern lost to Mainz away, Borussia Dortmund scored 4 goals against Eintracht 199
- Borussia Dortmund came out on top in the Bundesliga, beating Bayern. The Munich team flew out of the Cup and Champions League earlier 141
- Borussia Dortmund demolished Eintracht – 4:0. Malen doubled 20
- Guardiola on Sheffield 3-0: ‘Great performance from City 3 days after Munich’ 10 TopNews”> Zenit scored 58 points in 24 rounds and broke the record of Alania in 1995 103
- Russian Championship. Zenit defeated Dynamo, Khimki and Torpedo played 4:2, Fakel lost to Orenburg 942
- Zenit beat Dynamo at home – 3:1. Malcolm has a brace and an assist 478
- Manchester City were the first to reach the FA Cup final since 1966 without conceding a single. Score in 5 games – 17:0 42
- Malcolm made the 7th double of the season – 6 in the RPL and 1 in the Cup 11 TopNews”> Man City reached the Cup final England 2nd time in 10 years and first time since 2019 15
- Manchester City reached the FA Cup final with a 3-0 win over Sheffield United. Mahrez scored a hat-trick 80
- FA Cup. 1/2 finals. Man City beat Sheffield, Manchester United will play Brighton tomorrow 37
- Video Malcom scored the 17th and 18th goals of the RPL season. He is the leading scorer 73
- Mahrez scored a hat-trick against Sheffield. Midfielder “Man City” has not scored since February 5
- The sports ministers of Russia and Venezuela signed a cooperation program 19